The highly anticipated mixtape from Wiz Khalifa has finally dropped, after crashing a couple of websites. Has the wait for the mixtape been worth it? and will it even compare to his breakthrough mixtape “Kush & OJ”? find out what I got to say about it after the jump.
1. “Amber Ice” – The mixtape starts out with a track that has a smooth beat and then we hear Wiz Khalifa on the hook sort of singing. Then we hear the first verse and he’s talking about his life and his music and well his most recent success. I love it when he does this because that’s what makes him stand out from most artists, I love the flow on the track too. Then it ends out with him talking about his future and where he will land.
2. “California” – Here’s the single from the mixtape, he even shot visuals for this track. I love the fact that he did too because this track stands out, the beat isn’t too mainstream and it fits Wiz Khalifa’s style. It reminds me of “That Good” with Snoop too, I love the verses once again he’s talking his life and his most recent success and it’s good to hear that sometimes for some good motivation. I don’t like this recent version that’s on the mixtape, the echo’s are kind of annoying and in the end of him talking that also gets annoying since it’s in almost every track. Other then that this track is one of the best tracks on the mixtape.
3. “Mia Wallace” – This track didn’t really stand out to me, I wasn’t really feeling the production since it’s quite boring. The hook is horrible in my opinion, the verses get boring quickly. The flow on this track is lame too, so this could have been trashed easily.
4. “Guilty Conscience” – Now this track really stood out to me a lot, I actually listened to it fully in my car for the first time and well all I can say is that this track bangs. The hook is ignorant and makes me wanna blow money like crazy. The production is on point and fits Wiz Khalifa perfectly. The verses are flashy and ignorant which matches the hook so it’s perfect. These are the type of tracks that made me like Wiz Khalifa from the beginning.
5. “Mary 3x” – I wasn’t really feeling this track, the hook is lame. If he would have put in a better hook then it could pass as a decent track. The verses are pretty good, the production sounds the same as other tracks which I hate, there is no creativity and that’s what loses the interest in the music quickly.
6. “O.N.I.F.C.” – Here’s another track that sounds the same, since the producer is the same (Cardo) and I’m not feeling the hook it’s plain and to the point which is stupid. The verses are sort of slow and he sounds the same like on other tracks. The repeating in certain words like “One Night” “Sizurp” is really annoying. He dropped the ball on this track.
7. “Nameless” feat. Chevy Woods – Finally the first track with a feature and it’s from Wiz Khalifa’s artist Chevy Woods. The hook on this track is wack and sounds the same as some other tracks on this mixtape. The verses could have been better, the production sounds like some 90′s stuff and I’m liking that, but it doesn’t keep me interested in the track and so it won’t land on my iPod for a long time.
8. “Never Been 2″ ft. Amber Rose & Rick Ross – I loved “Never Been” part one so it only makes sense that I was excited for part two. I liked how the track started out, the production is smooth and banging. The Wiz Khalifa verse is on point and the typical Wiz Khalifa that we know. Now what really went wrong on this track is Wiz Khalifa’s wack ass fiance singing on the hook, Wiz Khalifa really dropped the ball on this track, and it could have been a banger if Amber Rose’s wack voice wasn’t on the track. Rick Ross really saved this track, if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t even have this track on my iPod. Someone needs to get Amber Rose the fuck outta here.
9. “The Cruise” – This track sounds like it belonged on a pop album, it isn’t really the Wiz Khalifa I like but if you’re a fan of the pop music then this track is sort of for you. The hook is okay, the production is alright, not my cup of tea overall.
10. “Rowland” feat. Smoke Dza – Another lame ass beat, nothing that really stands out, verses are about the same thing money, money and more money. The hook is lame as hell too, another track that should have ended up in the trash can. I don’t even know who Smoke Dza is but he doesn’t sound good at all.
11. “My Favorite Song” feat. Juicy J – I love this track, one of my favorites on the whole mixtape. The production is just something new and different, the girl sample of “Oh Yeah” was just really dope. I was hoping Wiz Khalifa to go hard on the verses and the hooks and he didn’t disappoint. Juicy J even went hard which surprised me and overall this track was amazing.
12. “T.A.P.” feat. Juicy J – This track is strictly for them stoners out there, and I know they like the track but since I don’t smoke I’m not that big of a fan. The beat is nice, the hook is pretty good, verses are there too.
13. “The Code” feat. Juicy J, Lola Monroe & Chevy Woods – This track is more up tempo and I’m liking that because it’s something new. Most of the tracks on the mixtape are slow and this track got me a little more hyped up. Juicy J killed his verse, Wiz Khalifa killed the verses and hook. Chevy & Lola did they’re thing too, everybody is pretty much repping Taylor Gang on this track.
14. “The Grinder” – This track didn’t stand out to me, not feeling the production. The track is boring, I like that Wiz Khalifa switched up his flow a little bit but other then that nothing special here.
15. “Brainstorm” – Another Cardo beat that sounds the same, this track is also boring and won’t last on my iPod at all.
16. “Number 16″ – I only like the verses on this track, the hook is lame as hell and annoying to me. The production is wack too, another track that should have ended up in the trash.
17. “Blindfolds” feat. Juicy J – I love the production on this track, but the hook once again is annoying, Wiz Khalifa really needs to cut out the yelling or attempt at singing on the hooks, it just doesn’t work for him at all. Juicy J was alright but could have been better, but overall another disappointing track.
- A lot of the production sounds the same and is super boring, Wiz Khalifa’s flow and most of his hooks are annoying as hell with the attempt at him singing which is a complete fail, a lot of words are stretched out and reused a lot.
- This mixtape really disappointed me because “Kush & OJ” was just so good, I don’t like this new Wiz Khalifa on this mixtape at all, his hooks are wack, and he just dropped the ball on a lot of tracks especially having Amber Rose on Never Been 2, that really messed up on what could have been an amazing track.
+ Some tracks put in some hope for me like “California”, “My Favorite Song” and “Guilty Conscience” those tracks I named remind me of the old Wiz Khalifa and they are just different overall and that’s what I need, the production on those tracks aren’t boring either and Wiz’s verses and flow is on point.
+ There are a lot of tracks on the mixtape, most artist don’t provide people with 17 free tracks on their mixtapes, more like 10 to 12, so that’s always a good thing to get more tracks.
6.5 OUT OF 10